If you know me, you probably think that me and minimalism shouldn't be used in the same sentence. I can often be found perusing Kmart at 11pm but I like many others I am beginning to see the error of my fast fashion, shopping addicted ways, I'm not only having a negative effect on the environment and the global economy but also my mental health.
If you've watched/read/heard the hit The Minimalists you know that it isn't about counting possessions but making sure that everything has a purpose and focusing on harbouring and nurturing meaningful relationships.
So how do we do that, without, well... becoming a dirty hippy?
- KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid. It seems obvious but for some of us we have over complicated our lives and relationships for so long it isn't!
- Spend 10 minutes per day just stretching - so total you time that doesn't require any accessories or equipment
- Don't spend money for 24 hours, pack your lunch, call your mum instead of brunching with the girls do anything but whip out the card
- Clear all the surfaces in your room, declutter physically to declutter mentally
- Unsubscribe from any emails you don't read or find helpful
- Stay media free after dinner, by all means watch MKR learn some new recipes but don't let it take over your life
Make a few small changes everyday and watch your relationships grow.